Teatro Camões was built in 1997/98 integrated in the architectural and urbanistic rehabilitation work planed for the World Exhibition EXPO'98 site. This project acted on a vast riverside area in the Oriental part of the city, between the city port and Moscavide.
Designed by the Risco architecture office, under the direction of architect Manuel Salgado, the Theater is a straightforward composition which is in harmony with the materials of the surrounding buildings at the now named Parque das Nações, an area that includes gardens, cultural equipments and leisure settings.
The Theater has an auditorium that can seat 1000 people and a magnificent view towards the Mar da Palha. The building was enlarged after the World Exhibition in order to be used by the Orquestra Sinfónica Portuguesa and the Companhia Nacional de Bailado, which are now responsible for the progamme.
© AMIR SFAIR FILHO
Passeio do Neptuno, Parque das Nações
Located in the heart of Feira da Ladra, one of the busiest and most famous markets in Lisbon, this was one of Portugal’s first covered markets and a pioneer in the use of iron and glass.
Designed by the architect Emiliano Augusto de Bettencourt for the Municipality of Lisbon, this elegant and well lit market opened in 1877 and its contemporaneity and salutariness were seen with enthusiasm.
It is a remarkable example of the turn of the XIX century public building construction, being its most significant features the volumetric composition and meticulous design, the intricate gates and the unique roof with glass sides. The market underwent substantial rehabilitation work which finished in 2008.
Mercado de Santa Clara
Campo de Santa Clara
QUICK, QUICK, SLOW
One of the most highly regarded private contemporary art collections in Europe today, the Berardo Collection Museum is named after its founder, Portuguese businessman Joe Berardo. The Museum opened in 2006 and displays selections of its 862 works of art, in a rotation between the several themes that compose the collection. It occupies the exhibition centre of Centro Cultural de Belém.
Located in an area rich in historical monuments, Centro Cultural de Belém was designed by the Italian architect Vittorio Gregotti in collaboration with the Portuguese architect Manuel Salgado and was built to house the Portuguese presidency of the European Union in 1992.
Open to the public since 1993, the CCB is now a vast cultural centre with a seasonal programme of performing arts’ shows, lectures and educational activities. It features two auditoria, a Conference Center, a Reading Room and an Educational Activities Centre in an architecture compound doted with gardens, lakes and immense public areas.
© CINTRA & CASTRO CALDAS
Museu Colecção Berardo
Praça do Império
PACE OF DESIGN
Inspired by the Enlightenment, the prime-minister Sebastião José de Melo establishes the Real Colégio dos Nobres, which opens in 1766 with the goal of educating the young Portuguese aristocracy. Amongst other infrastructures, it included an arena for horseback riding and fencing lessons, as well as the instruction and leisure of the students.
Scientific teaching at the Colégio ending in 1772, the building is occupied by other technical teaching institutions, like the Academia Real de Marinha and the Academia de Fortificação, Artilharia e Desenho.
In 1837 the Escola Politécnica is established and in 1911, the recently formed Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa inherits the libraries, collection and teachers that belonged to the Escola Politécnica, as well as the building. By 1985 the Museu de Ciência is created and, since then, it shares this building with the Museu Nacional de História Natural.
The building was classified Immovable Municipal Interest in 1978 and the Arena, with its particular and imposing wooden structure and big ceiling height, is currently used for special cultural initiatives.
© MUSEUS DA POLITÉCNICA
Museus da Politécnica
Rua da Escola Politécnica, 60
LAPSE IN TIME
The Sociedade Nacional de Belas-Artes (SNBA) was founded in 1901 with the goal of promoting the development of the arts and of national artists.
Designed from scratch for the SNBA, the centenary headquarters' building is a privileged space for artistic venues, one of the main guidelines of the SNBA's mission. In 1965 the SNBA established the first Design course in Portugal. At the headquarters, alongside the teaching of artistic subjects, the Sociedade has also held several activities: exhibitions, lectures, conferences and the educational encouragement through art.
It integrates a specialized library for researchers and students which comprises a catalogue archive dated from the end of the XIXth century and includes editions of the SNBA. These cover varied genres, from water color, to photography (the first exhibitions in Portugal were organized by SNBA), as well as caricature and humoristic drawing, amongst others.
© PIERO GLINA & DANIEL SCHLUDI
Sociedade Nacional de Belas Artes
R. Barata Salgueiro, 36
Under the judicial protection of Fundação Oriente, the Museu do Oriente opened to the public in 2008, their mission being to bear witness of the Portuguese presence in Asia during five centuries, as well as of other Asian cultures. The museum features two permanent exhibitions, built on its rich and diverse collection, and programs several temporary exhibitions, performing arts’ shows, workshops, conferences and guided tours.
The Museum is located in the Pedro Álvares Cabral building, a port construction from the beginning of the 40’s, used for the storage of salted cod fish. It was classified as an Immovable Municipal Interest. The rehabilitation project was undertaken by the architects João Luís Carrilho da Graça and Rui Francisco, which tried to cross the architectonical identity of the building and its new use. The museological project was designed by por Carrilho da Graça e Nuno Gusmão (P-06). This symmetrical building has six floors and is organized longitudinally, with a main body and two lower wings.
The construction stands out due to the almost lack of windows owed to its initial function as a warehouse for perishable goods. The North façade, enriched with bas-relief executed by the sculptor Barata Feyo, contributes to make the Museu do Oriente one of the most representative in Alcantara’s port area.
Museu do Oriente
Av. Brasília, Doca de Alcântara (Norte)
Tucked away between Bairro Alto and Príncipe Real and hidden behind a flowery patio and a wrought iron gate, the Palácio Braamcamp can easily be overlooked by the more distracted passers by.
Built by the Braamcamp family, this characteristic example of the 1800’s residential architecture is an elegant and pleasant construction. The façade has a curved frontispiece and a terrace overlooking the Tagus River and the facing buildings. The classic exterior contrasts with the richness of the inside which combines balection moulding, mural painting, imprinted glass and vitreous glass. The interior space is organized around the hall, topped by a skylight and a gallery.
The Palace, once inhabited by Fontes Pereira de Melo, was sold in 1917 to the French government, where it installed the École Française de Lisbonne, and there remaining until the mid XXth century.
Bought by the Lisbon Municipality in 1945 the building then housed the Social Security Headquarters between 1962 e 2008.
Pátio do Tijolo, 25